Monday, July 20, 2009

Wunsche Brothers Café and Saloon– Spring, TX

A trip to Ole Towne Spring is like a trip back in time. Wunsche Brothers is where you’d eat if it were 1900, you were fresh off the trial and needed a starch fix (just ignore the neon).

Wunsche Brothers is a neat old style café with an old timey feel: wood paneled walls and floors, old pictures and rusted farm equipment adorn the walls.

The CFS: Southern style and deep fried. It was plenty big (long) and the cube steak was very thick. It was good but a little soggy and cold.


Breading: It thoroughly covered the CFS but it was unfortunately, as I mentioned, a little soggy. I would have preferred a bit more crunch to accentuate the differences in textures among the component parts.

Gravy: White and traditional. It was good but nothing to write home about. I make no qualms about preferring a gravy with a little zing.

Knife: Standard knife provided. It would have been good to have something larger, given the relatively large size of the CFS to the relatively small plate.

Sides: Choose two: I chose the mashed potatoes and the okra and tomato. The mashed potato was good but nothing memorable. It had a good potato flavor, find seasoning balance and a hint of garlic. The okra and tomato was a recipe worth stealing! Stewed together, the marriage of the thickly sliced okra and the diced tomato was a heavenly match and highlighted the meal.


Cost: $ 12.99, a little on the high side.

Service: Friendly but not terribly engaging. She did her job (waitressing) and we did ours (eating).

Music Selection: Contemporary rock. (bonus points if you can name the song with the following lyric: “I met her in a Kingstown bar…”)

Walk a few blocks around Ole Town Spring and you won’t be sorry. It’s a fun little place for a stroll with interesting shops and a wide availability of other fried vittles, like funnel cakes and fried Twinkies. If I hadn’t been so full, I would have gained 5 pounds.
http://www.wunschebroscafe.com/

3 comments:

Homegrown Photography said...

Hello there, I just stumbled upon your blog and thought it was great. My husband is a CFS lover and is always ready to try the latest and greatest "Best CFS in Town". I wanted to give you some suggestions of new places to give a try. Mel's Country Cafe in Tomball www.melscountrycafe.com
Their CFS is freaking awesome. If you're up for a road trip...head to Fayetteville, TX..it's about 1.5hrs from Houston, close to Round Top. Orsak's Cafe has THE BEST CFS...They're on the square in Fayetteville, 78940

Happy Eating!

Chicken Fried Texan said...

Nice! Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard several chorus for Mel's. I'm going to have to get there soon.

Road trip + town square + CFS = count me in! This should keep me busy for a while.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with the comment about Mel's, there CFS is much better then Goodson's. In my opinion about the difference between them is the Gravy. Mel's is more so a white Gravy where Goodson's is a light brown type which just doesn't jive with the CFS.

 
Locations of visitors to this page