Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gus’s Diner ― Sun Prairie, WI

Start the morning off right and I’ll tell you how: a big cup of coffee, good friends and hefty chicken fried steak. Visiting friends in Madison, Wisconsin, we were treated to an excellent late breakfast at Gus’s Diner in neighboring Sun Prairie. Gus’s Diner recreates a quaint and vibrant traditional greasy spoon diner where you would feel accepted wearing sneakers or bobby socks.


(image snagged from ChicagoNow.com)

The steak was tender and well cooked, if a little buried (and outshined) by the allied players on the plate. The gravy wasn’t my particular cut of brisket, given that the white gravy had mushrooms and a bit too much parsley. What can you say, it’s Wisconsin. It was, however tasty and flavorful and was a nice earthy contrast to the starch of the CFS and perfectly browned hash browns. The accompanying sunny side up eggs provided an amazingly rich mouthful that satisfied all around.



I try not to make it a habit to dine on CFS outside of Texas (especially in Louisiana, sorry Pelican-staters), but this was a welcome meal on a cold Midwestern morning.

2 comments:

nichole said...

That blogs like yours exist makes my day. Someone asked about good chicken fried steak in Madison (I'm doubtful) and a search brought me here. I want to take a road trip now.

Thanks for the vicarious CFS enjoyment, and happy trails on your quest!

nichole said...

(Road trip to Texas, I should clarify)

(Did you eat elsewhere on your Madison trip? Anything memorable & good?)

 
Locations of visitors to this page